Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Display Ideas for an Old Metal Chest

Photobucket


I came across this old Union steel chest (Pssst.....it's available HERE!), and I got started thinking about different things that could be done with it. No one has ever accused me of being a decorating genius (or even an amateur), so I got a little help with a couple of these ideas.



Photobucket


First, you could just use it to store things. I mean, those little trays would be great for beads, nails, craft stuff, you name it. But what fun is that? Vintage things like this are begging to be displayed.



Photobucket


What about to display old family photographs?



Photobucket


Or small collections?



Photobucket


Or florals?

What else can you think of this utility chest could be used for?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Dan,
    My favorite is the florals. Like the look of the rugged metal box along delicate flowers & pretty little bird displayed together.

    It would be a great little craft box as well, but I really like it open with displays... think you're unto something there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the photo display best. I just picked up two large old rusty metal tool boxes with lift out trays and am trying to decide the best way to use them, you have given me some great ideas. I picked up the tool boxes at a yard sale. As I was walking away the woman was shaking her head as she spoke to her daughter “He was right, they sold, but I didn’t think anyone would want those old rusty things.” Ha! Old and rusty is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. eeeeeeeeeeeeee turquoise Love it
    new follower and blogger actually
    nice to find you today
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had one very similar to this except the drawers lifted out sideways. I used it to carry around my booth tagging stuff, then I got tired of it and sold it. I also have one of those scales on top of my old hoosier cabinet. Your pickers pic is cool, i love the show! Stop by for a visit sometime!
    Hugs,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photo and floral idea. How about craft supplies... jewelry makers, mixed media pieces, etc.

    You gave me a great idea! I have an old box like this in the basement...although I think ours is a wee bit more beat up, believe it or not!

    Jillian
    Bella Rosa Antiques

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad had one of these that he used as a tackle box.

    ReplyDelete